top of page
  • Emily Kite

Three Ways to Improve Your Overall Mental Health

Updated: 1 day ago

Mental health refers to our social and emotional well-being. Our mental health impacts heavily on the way we interact with other individuals and also the way we think and feel. The way we make decisions in life and how we handle stressful situations is considered part of our mental health.

Everyone has mental health just like we have physical health. Oftentimes we focus most of our energy on physical health instead of balancing both physical and mental health equally. We know what we must do for our physical health but not the best practices for maintaining good mental health.

Sleep, exercise and nutrition are the three big factors to focus on when it comes to having good mental health.

Sleep, one of the most important factors in maintaining good mental health. Studies have shown that getting adequate sleep allows good mental clarity and happiness. It is said that making sure you get eight hours of sleep a night improves your mental health drastically.

Many people who have poor mental health complain of suffering from insomnia or not being able to fall asleep at night. Using lavender tea and even melatonin on days you know will be difficult to wind down is always a great option!

Exercise, one factor that as a society today we have slacked on. With people working from home and being desk bound, the steps a person takes in a day has become much less. You should thrive for around 10,000 steps a day.

You can achieve this by going for a walk or even a run. Some people have noticed more mental clarity when taking a midday walk during their lunch breaks. It is a great way to unplug from our devices and enjoy the outside!

Lastly, nutrition is a huge piece of the puzzle when it comes to your mental health. It is probably one of the most underrated but simple things we can do to boost our health. Some important nutrients for mental health are Omega-3 Fatty Acids, B vitamins and vitamin D.

You should be making whole foods( foods that are not heavily processed) a priority and also adding more vegetables into your diet. Oftentimes switching completely to whole foods can be difficult and so many dietitians recommend sticking to the 80/20 rule for nutrition. 80% of the time you should be fueling your body with whole foods and the other 20% is considered your balance, foods that may bring you comfort and joy that are a bit more processed.

It’s important we value our mental health as much as we do our physical health. Taking a quick walk, eating whole foods and making a good night's sleep a priority can make your mental and physical health that much better! Let’s take care of our bodies as much as we can!

This blog was originally written by Emily Kite, former Marketing Assistant at Obsidian Manufacturing Industries, Inc.

1,521 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page